WHY I’M RUNNING
(Dennis Hof) – I first decided to run for the Nevada State Assembly after the 2015 Legislature passed the largest tax hike in state history – including the creation of a new anti-jobs business income tax that was very similar to the one 80 percent of Nevada voters had rejected at the ballot box just six months earlier.
Among the legislators who shoved that tax hike down our throats was District 36 Assemblyman James Oscarson – who we defeated in the June 12, 2018 Republican primary.
But my reasons for wanting to represent you in the Legislature go much deeper than that.
Like many of you, I’m a Nevadan by choice, not birth.
As noted in my autobiography, I took a trip with my dad from our home in Phoenix to San Francisco in 1972 and fell in love with the Silver State as we drove through…
“I felt strangely free in Nevada. I don’t know how else to explain it, except to say that in Nevada I could be my true self.”
And we’re losing that.
For the last 25 years or so a LOT of “refugees” have fled their own high-tax/big-government states and moved here. In fact, we’ve been the fastest-growing state for more than two decades now.
- People wanted bigger and better job opportunities. They weren’t looking for government handouts and subsidies.
- They wanted to move to a “live and let live” state where adults were free to pursue activities – such as 24/7 gambling – that their home state banned or tightly restricted because they were “bad for you.”
- They wanted lower taxes and minimal government in their lives.
- They wanted to live where their right to defend themselves, their families and their property were recognized, respected and honored.
Maybe that describes you?
Unfortunately, many who have moved here – especially from neighboring California – have brought their bad habits with them.
And if you’re like me, you’ve become increasing worried that those folks – especially in Las Vegas – have been trying to turn Nevada into California rather than becoming Nevadans.
- They’ve been electing people who continually raise our taxes and make government bigger and more invasive in our lives.
- They’ve elected people who pass laws to limit your liberties; to restrict your freedoms.
- They’ve passed laws making harder and more expensive to pursue the American dream of opening your own business.
- They’ve passed laws forcing private employers to pay a government dictated “minimum wage” and mandatory benefits.
- They’ve passed laws (and raised taxes) to “fix” our schools which have only made them worse.
- They’ve tried to water down our Second Amendment rights while restoring voting rights for convicted felons.
- They’ve tried to make Nevada a “sanctuary state” in addition to giving illegal immigrants driver’s licenses.
- They’ve expanded welfare programs well beyond helping those who can’t help themselves.
- They refuse to require photo ID before voting in our elections.
- They’ve refused to fund Nevada’s landmark school choice program.
- They’ve tried to create a “Medicare for All” socialized medicine system.
- They’ve tried to make taxpayers pay for abortions.
And you can bet in the 2019 legislative session they’re gonna try to “be like California” and criminalize the possession and distribution of…plastic straws!
As the popular bumper sticker puts it, “We Don’t Care How You Did It In California.”
This is Nevada.
If you want higher taxes and the cradle-to-grave big government socialism, vote for my opponent.
But if you want to help make Nevada NEVADA again, I’d appreciate your vote on November 6th!
And as always, you can contact me directly to talk about our campaign by calling my cell phone at (775) 720-9090 or emailing me at [email protected]
What They’re Saying: Tucker Carlson, FOX News, MSNBC, The Daily Caller
“Dennis is a thoroughly charming guy – one of the great American salesmen, a consummate showman. While I’m not sure I support the business 100 percent, he is a totally self-made guy – something I really respect.”
What They’re Saying: Jim Marsh, Businessman
“As the longtime owner of several businesses in southern Nevada – including the Longstreet Inn and Casino in Amargosa Valley – I know a successful entrepreneur when I see one. And Dennis Hof is just that. He owns dozens of successful tax revenue-producing operations and fully understands the undue burdens government too often puts on the shoulders of the true job creators in our state. We need more like him in the Legislature.”
What They’re Saying: Bob Zmuda, Writer/Producer
“I’ve known Dennis for almost 40 years and he’s one of my and the late Andy Kaufman’s best friends. While I appreciate that some people may object to his business, the fact is it’s legal and safe. It also empowers the women who chose to work there to control their own lives and destinies. Dennis is also one of the kindest, most generous men I’ve had the pleasure to know in celebrity circles.” (Mr. Zmuda is the founder of Comic Relief and producer of “Man in the Moon”)
What They’re Saying: Judy Gloria, Former Hof Bookeeper
“I worked for Dennis for almost twenty years – first doing his banking and then booking his travel. I still hear from him on my birthdays and on Christmas. He always sends me a card and a generous check. How many bosses do that? How many former bosses?”
What They’re Saying: Grover Norquist, Americans for Tax Reform
“Raising taxes is what weak politicians do instead of the hard work of making tough spending choices. Assemblyman Oscarson took the easy way out and voted for the largest tax hike in Nevada history last year. His opponent, Dennis Hof, has signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge and will keep his word to the voters he represents. This choice is a no-brainer.”
What They’re Saying: James Smack, former Nevada Republican National Committeeman
“As the former Republican National Committeeman for Nevada, I am pleased and honored to endorse the only true conservative in the race for Assembly District 36. That person is Dennis Hof. Assembly District 36 is blessed to have a businessman and community leader like Dennis Hof willing to stand up, self-fund his own campaign, and go up against one of the poster boys for all the special interest groups in Nevada. I trust Dennis Hof to hold the line on taxes and regulations, and be the kind of leader we need in Carson City. I wholeheartedly support Dennis Hof for the State Assembly.”